DYMO LabelManager 280D Label Maker:Damn! You would think that if it has a USB port, it could be charged via USB!!!!
Rechargeable Battery Pack
I can understand that it might not be possible to operate via USB, if the labelmaker thermal printer takes too much power during operation. But at least it could charge the battery!
Here's a Product I Want:
- Battery powered
- to charge battery
- for data communication with a controlling device
- PREFERRED: to mobile device (cell phone, tablet)
- LESS PREFERRED: to PC (Windows/Mac/*x/..., desktop/laptop/...)
- PREFERRED: cell phone and/or tablet
- Form factor of labelmaker such that it can easily be attached to mobile device.
- E.g. clip over the edge of a cellphone, although that makes product specific to particular phones
- Myself, I would probably velcro it or otherwise attach it to my cellphone.
- MUCH LESS PREFERRED: PC or laptop as controlling device for labelmaker
- Kills the usage model of composing and printing labels at storage shelves
Bonus points for allowing a photograph of what is being put away to be taken and recorded to the database.
The need to have location (GPS/other) and photo motivates having a labelmaker that is controlled by a mobile phone via USB or similar. Plus, it gives you a much better input device than the lousy membrane keyboard typical of labelmakers. Cost reduction for the labelmaker.
PlusPlus, if you have a need to download long lists of labels to print, phone/PC--->LabelMaker gives you that ability.
Location: GPS or wifi or or other usual wireless a start. But if you want to record which room of a house or which shelf in a storage closet of an apartment you have put the box or file in, GPS not fine grain enough. This partly motivates photographs - e.g. photograph a shelf, possibly with an ID number. But it might also motivate something more convenient for user, such as RFID on shelves. Slightly more advanced tech, but more convenient. If you have home automation, e.g. for light switches, those IDs may be sufficient.
Further: standalone portable LabelMaker with wifi or other wireless - to update database immediately. (Of course, it would need the usual lousy labelmaker keyboard, if not attached to a mobile phone.)